Wednesday 12 March 2014

Final major project.


Background: For my final major project I will be focusing on Japan. I will be looking at both art and everyday life and culture. For my final product I am hoping to produce a set of pillows designed for a Japanese tea room. I decided to look at japan when I sat a piece of traditional Japanese art on Pinterest.
Focus: I will start by looking at Japanese artists who work in both textiles and other media, to start my research and help develop my ideas. I am going to look at native plants,  such as cherry blossoms and Japanese pine, as they are used a lot in Japanese art. I’m going to look at the design of tea rooms in japan, and the geishas. I will look at the geishas costumes, like kimonos, and also look at samurai costumes, because I’m focusing mainly on traditional Japanese culture, including religion. In japan there are two main religions; Buddhism and Shinto, Shinto being the more traditional so I will be focusing on it more than Buddhism. Also I will look at Japanese myths and legends as I find it very interesting and as it is used a lot in traditional art. To collect my primary research I am hoping to go to the Manchester museum, because they have a section on japan.
Artist of interest: Donna Watson and Mary Maru are both textile artists. Kiyokata Kaburagi and Hokusai are traditional artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment